- The CA3130 is a combination of both CMOS and bipolar transistors(BiCMOS).CA3130 is a BIMOS op-amp that has advantages of both bipolar and CMOS transistors.
- BICMOS transistors – BiCMOS technology is a combination of bipolar technology and CMOS technology, provides complementary advantages from both technologies and thus offers low power dissipation, and better gain and current driving capability on the same silicon chip.
- Advantages of Bipolar transistors can perform fast switching and perform well under high bandwidths.
- CMOS circuit has the advantages of simple structure, low power consumption, large noise tolerance, and strong temperature stability.
- BiCMOS combines the advantage of both technologies.
- The CA3130 consists of PMOS transistors at the input and CMOS transistors at the output. These transistors provide the advantages of high impedance, high speed, less current consumption, and high bandwidth.
- MOSFET Input Stage Provides very High ZI.
- Ideal for Single-Supply Applications.
- Common-Mode Input-Voltage Range Includes Negative Supply Rail.
- Input Terminals can be Swung 0.5V Below Negative Supply Rail.
- CMOS Output Stage Permits Signal Swing to Either (or both) Supply Rails.
- DC Supply Voltage 16 V
- Differential Input Voltage 8 V.
- DC Input Voltage (V+ +8V) to (V- -0.5V).
- Input-Terminal Current 1mA.
- Operating Temperature Range 50°C to 125°C.
- Output Short-Circuit Duration Indefinite.
- It can perform both single and dual supply operations. The circuits are given for both operations.
- In a single-supply operation, the fourth pin is grounded.
- In dual supply, the below connections are shown.
- Pin 8 can strobe the output stage into quiescence.
- Offset nulling can be achieved by connecting a 100,000Ω potentiometer across pins 1 and 5.
- The slider arm of a potentiometer is connected to pin 4.
- A fine value can be obtained by sliding the sliding arm.
- A small capacitor is connected between pins 1 and 8 for achieving effect compensation.
Applications of CA3130 CMOS OP-AMP
- They are suitable for designing voltage followers and multivibrators, due to their high input resistances.
- Function generators use it as an integrator and in threshold detector functions.
- It can be used to perform frequency to voltage conversions and temperature to frequency conversions by using external components (including resistors, capacitors, etc) along with this IC.
- It is used for designing Digital to Analog converters and oscillators.