- The potential difference created across the P-N junction due to the diffusion of electron and holes is called potential barrier.
- The potential barrier in the pn junction is the barrier which does not allow charge flow across the junction normally.
- In quantum mechanics, in contrast to classical mechanics, the passage of particles with energy less than V0 through the potential barrier is possible. This phenomenon is called the tunnel effect.
- For Ge VB=0.3v and for silicon vB=0.7v
- The potential barrier in P-N junction is ~0.5 V and the width of depletion region ~10-6m.
some important graphs