There are some advantages of π filter which are given below.
- The π filter is easy to design.
- The quality of output DC voltage is very good.
- It has higher DC output voltage at heavy loads.
- It is useful for low load current i.e. light loads.
- It has very low and smallest amount of ripple factor.
There are some disadvantages of π filter which are given below.
- The π filter has a loss of power in the inductor.
- It requires higher peak inverse voltage (PIV).
- There is a loss of power in inductor.
- It is costlier and bulky due to use of more filters,.
- It needs larger value of input capacitor.
- It increase peak diode current.
- It loads the rectifier in case of input capacitor is leaky.
- It needs the choke of higher current rating.