Positive terminal of the battery is connected to the P-crystal and negative terminal of the battery is connected to N-crystal.
- In forward biasing width of depletion layer decreases
- In forward biasing resistance offered Rforward » 10ohm-25ohm
- forward bias opposes the potential barrier and for V> VB a forward current is set up
across the junction.
- The current is given by i-is(eeV/kT -1); where is = Saturation current, e = 1.6 ´10-19 C, k =Boltzmann’s constant.
- Cut-in (Knee) voltage : The voltage at which the current starts to increase rapidilv. For Ge it is 0.3 V and for Si it is 0.7 V.