There are some advantages of induction motor which are given below.
- The induction motor is cheaper in cost.
- It does not require any complex circuit for starting. The three phase motor is self starting while the single phase motor can be made self-starting simply by connecting a capacitor in the auxiliary winding.
- It can operate in a wide range of industrial condition.
- The induction motors are simple and rugged construction.
- It can be operated in polluted and explosive environments as they do not have brushes which can cause spark.
There are some disadvantages of induction motor which are given below.
- One of the main disadvantages of induction motor is that speed control of induction motor is difficult.
- Efficiency drops at low loads. This is because, the low power factor causes a higher current to be drawn. This results in higher copper losses.
- Induction motors have notoriously low starting torque. Hence, they cannot be used for application such as traction and in lifting loads.
- At low loads, the power factor drops to very low values.