There are some advantages of power transistor which are given below,
- The power transistor can be operated at switching frequencies in the range of 10 to 15 kHz.
- The power transistor can carry large currents in ON state and block very high voltage in OFF state.
- It is very easy to turn ON and turn OFF the power transistor.
- The ON state voltage drop across power transistor is low.
- It can be used to control power delivered to the load, inverters and choppers.
There are some disadvantages of power transistor which are given below,
- Reverse blocking capacity is very low in the power transistor.
- The power transistor cannot be operating satisfactorily above switching frequency of 15 kHz.
- It can be damaged due to thermal runway or second breakdown.