- Measuring temperature in difficult areas such as mines, chemical storage, deep earth crust, and industrial boilers.
- DS18B20 waterproof temperature sensor is used, as most temperature sensors cannot withstand extreme heat and environmental conditions.
- DS18B20 waterproof temperature sensor is moisture-proof and suitable in harsh and hazardous environments.
What is the DS18B20 Waterproof Sensor?
- DS18B20 waterproof temperature sensor is a pre-wired, one-meter-long, sealed, waterproof digital temperature sensor probe.
- Is manufactured in a waterproof version by Dallas semiconductor and maxim integrated corporations. It is well-designed and handy to measure the temperature in any condition.
Its working principle of the sensor is that here the temperature is converted to digital format directly and operates in parasite power mode.
- The operation of this sensor is based on the 1-wire serial communication protocol and stores a 64-bit unique serial code. A one-wire digital temperature sensor i.e, it just requires one data line (and GND) to communicate with the Arduino.
- The power supply given to it is either external or can derive power from the data line (called “parasite mode”), which eliminates the need for an external power supply.
- Pin 1: GND (Ground): This pin refers to the ground connection of the circuit parasite mode operation. The black wire of the DS18B20 represents the ground pin.
- Pin 2: VDD: This pin refers to the positive power supply voltage of 3V to 5.5V to power up the sensor. The red wire of the DS18B20 represents the VCC pin.
- Pin 3: DQ or DATA: This pin refers to the output pin that generates the digital temperature which can be read by using the 1-wire interface protocol.
- DQ is connected to the digital pin of an Arduino or microcontroller while interfacing. It provides power to the sensor when operated in the parasitic power mode.
- The yellow wire of DS18B20 represents the data pin.
connections are made as in the above circuit diagram. The DS18B20 sensors can operate in two modes. They are
- To operate the sensor in normal mode a 3-pin Or 3-wire connection is required
VCC pin is connected to a 5V power supply.
- The DS18B20 sensor gets the voltage supply from the data line or data pin in parasite mode.
- It requires a data pin and the ground pin.
- the GND pin of the sensor is connected to the GND pin of Arduino UNO.
- The DQ/DATA pin is connected to digital pin 2 of Arduino UNO and forms a one-wire communication bus.
- A pull-up resistor is connected from the DQ/DATA path to the VCC path of the DS18B20 sensor and the Arduino to allow the data transfer.
- To get the power supply, the VCC pin of the sensor is connected to the ground.