Eliminate power-up errors with MAX16162, the industry’s smallest, lowest power glitch-free supervisor
SAN JOSE, Calif.—June 21, 2021—Designers can now enhance system reliability in low-voltage IoT applications with the Essential Analog MAX16162 nanoPower supervisor with glitch-free power-up from Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM). This supervisor IC is the industry’s first to fully assert a system reset through the entire system power supply ramp; thereby eliminating low-voltage glitches during power-up and delivering higher system reliability.
- To order MAX16162 or learn more, visit http://bit.ly/MAX16162_Product
- For a hi-res image, visit http://bit.ly/MAX19162_Image
- For details about Maxim Integrated’s portfolio of Essential Analog solutions, visit http://bit.ly/Essential-Analog-ICs
More IoT system designers are switching to microcontrollers with core voltages of 1V and below, and traditional supervisory ICs show unreliable outputs at these lower input voltages. This leaves systems vulnerable to faulty power-up, causing the MCU to wake up in an undefined state with incorrect I/O outputs, wrong data reads or other errors. The MAX16162, part of Maxim’s Essential Analog family of robust protection ICs, eliminates glitches until the input voltage achieves the appropriate voltage threshold. Eliminating glitches improves reliability not only for IoT systems, but also portable medical monitoring devices, wearables, base stations, programmable logic controllers and automation controls.
The MAX16162 draws only 825nA, so that it provides robust protection without exacting a toll on limited power budgets. With a package size of 1.06mm by 0.73mm, this Essential Analog supervisory IC is 23 percent smaller than the closest competitive solution and helps developers save board space.
Essential Analog ICs deliver Maxim’s advances in low-power, high-performance, single-function products to enable next-generation innovation in multiple applications and markets.
- Glitch Free at Low Voltages: Eliminates system errors by asserting a consistent, glitch-free reset during power-up, even for inputs below 0.6V
- nanoPower: Draws only 825nA
- Smallest Size: 23 percent smaller than closest competition
- “ICs operating under 1V offer tremendous advantages for power savings and IoT proliferation but come with unacceptable reliability risks when not designed properly,” said Elnaz Shayesteh, business manager for the Core Products at Maxim Integrated. “We developed the industry’s first low-voltage glitch-free supervisory IC so system developers may eliminate the errors observed during power-up. No other company offers glitch-free capability at these voltages, further solidifying Maxim Integrated’s innovation leadership in robust protection technology.”
Availability and Pricing
- The MAX16162 is available at Maxim Integrated’s website for $1.19 (1000-up, FOB USA); also available from authorized distributors
- EE-Sim® models are available; For details, visit http://bit.ly/EE_Sim_Maxim