- 74HC595 IC is a 16-pin shift register IC consisting of a D-type latch along with a shift register inside the chip.
- It receives serial input data and then sends out this data through parallel pins.
- In addition to parallel outputs, it also provides a serial output. It has independent clock inputs for the shift register and D latch.
- It is a shift register with 8-bit serial input and 8-bit serial or 3-state parallel outputs.
- The operating voltage of this IC is from 2V to 6V.
- The output voltage is equal to the operating voltage of this IC.
- 74HC595 shift register consists of two registers a shift register and a storage register. Both are 8-bit wide.
- The first one is responsible to accept data input on every positive edge of the clock and it keeps receiving data.
- But data from the shift register transfer to the storage register only when we apply an active high signal to the latch input pin.
- It has 8outputs and 3input pins which include a data pin, storage resistor clock pin, and shift register clock pin.
- Connect pin8 to ground and pin16 to +5V voltage supply.
- The output enable pin (~OE) should be grounded to enable the output pins of the shift register.
- The master reset pin will clear the memory of a shift register if it is applied with a low signal.
- That’s why it should be kept high.
- When the positive edge transition occurs on pin 11, the shift register will accept the inputs applied on the data line.
- The outputs of the storage register are connected to the input pins of the D-latch/storage resistor.
- These inputs are updated on the latch output when a positive edge transition occurs at pin 12.