A Schottky diode, also called as surface barrier diode, is a semiconductor diode which has a low forward voltage drop and a very fast switching ability.
Therefore, they are used in applications where a circuit needs to function off of a very low voltage and in all types of high-speed switching applications such as in generator, detectors, and RF applications.
The basic construction of Schottky diode is shown in above fig.
- It is an electronic component consisting of a thin wire that lightly touches a crystal of semiconducting mineral to make a crude point–contact rectifier.
- The Schottky diode is small different from of PN junction diode.
- A metal semiconductor is formed between a metal and N type semiconductor.
- It is unilateral device conducting currents in one direction and restricting in the other.
- In Schottky diode the metals used are silver, platinum, gold and chrome or tungsten. The metal side acts as the anode and N type semiconductor acts as cathode.
The Schottky diode is used in switch mode power supply (SMPS), AC to DC converters (ADC), RADAR systems and used in mixers and detectors.