- The GTO has high capability of blocking voltage.
- The GTO has more di/dt ratings at turn ON.
- It has faster turn OFF permitting high switching frequencies.
- The communication circuit is not required, hence it reduced size, weight and cost.
- It has high efficiency.
- In GTO, ON state voltage drop and the associated loss is more.
- Gate drive circuit losses are more.
- Triggering gate current is higher as compared to the current required for a conventional SCR.
- In GTO, magnitude of latching and holding current is more.
- It is used in DC drives or DC choppers
- It is used in DC circuit breakers
- It is used in low power application.