There are some advantages of choke input AC filter which are given below.
- The choke input AC filter has no loading effect on the rectifier and power transformer.
- It has better voltage regulation than that of π filter.
- The diode does not have to carry surge currents.
- It has a very low ripple factor as compared to series inductor filter and shunt capacitor filter.
- It has very good load regulation.
- It has no loading effect on the rectifier and power transformer.
- The choke input (LC) filter has a high output D.C voltage.
There are some disadvantages of choke input AC filter which are given below.
- The choke input filter produces the audible noise due to inductor.
- It is not useful for very low load currents.
- It cannot be used together with half wave rectifier.
- The use of bleeder resistor increases the rating of rectifier circuit.
- There is a loss of power in the series inductor due to its DC resistance.
- It has low output D.C. voltage than that of π type filter.
- It has high ripple factor than that of π type filter.
- It becomes costly due to the use of large value of an inductor L and a capacitor C.