There are some advantages of zener diode shunt regulator which are given below.
- The zener diode shunt regulator gives a better regulation over a wider range of load currents and input voltages.
- It gives higher current capability.
- The zener diode shunt is very economic as it is of low cost.
- It requires only two or three components.
- It has a very simple circuit.
There are some disadvantages of zener diode shunt regulator which are given below.
- The internal impedance of the circuit is high.
- The voltage regulation is poor.
- The output voltage is not adjustable because it has VO = VZ.
- It cannot be used for large load current.
- It has poor efficiency for heavy loads because a considerable amount of power is wasted in zener resistance (R2) and series resistor (RS) in comparison with load power.
- The DC output voltage slightly changes due to zener resistance.
- Changes in load current produce changes in zener current.
- Consequently the output voltage also changes.