CNC is a computer numerical control in conventional machine operations an operator needs to guide the tool and work piece for machining but in numerical control which is also called NC instead of an operator.
- The machine is operated automatically using directly inserted code numerical instructions.
- NC is a concept of automated machine control
- It is programmable automation of machine tool
- The manufacturing process is controlled by numbers, letters, and symbols.
- In computer numerical control or CNC, the numerical control of machine tool is performed by using instructions from the connected computer the hardware of an NC machine like the magnetic tape, the tape reader, etc. are eliminated the control unit of an NC machine is replaced by a dedicated computer. The computer in the CNC machine performed one particular task or a group of related tasks the part program for controlling the machine tool is input and stored in the computer. The computer processes this program data and converts it into a form usable by the machine. CNC system performs all the functions of an NC system in accordance with the stored program but with greater convenience.