- One type of integrated circuit that can be constructed with one comparator is the LM311 IC. This IC’s primary function is to compare input voltages and determine the higher value. Based on this idea, only electronic decisions are possible. A comparator can therefore be used to create a variety of electrical circuits, and as a result, this IC is crucial to many circuits. The IC LM311 pinout must be known before designing an LM311-based circuit so that each pin’s primary purpose may be determined.
About LM311 IC?
- The LM 311 IC is essentially a fast type of voltage comparator. This IC’s operational voltage spans the range of -15 to 15 volts. For logic systems, this IC may also run on 5 volts. The MOS logic or TTL, RTL, or DTL compatibility level circuits are present in the IC’s output levels. This IC can be used to power relays, lamps, and other devices. However, the LM311 IC pin connections are different from those of other operational amplifiers.
|Pin 1||Emit Out : This pin is the output transistor’s emitter pin|
|Pin 2||Non-Inverting Input : The IN+ Pin of the comparator can be given to a variable voltage for comparing voltages.|
|Pin 3||IN-Inverting Input : The IN- Pin can be given to a set voltage which is contrasted with the Non-inverting input|
|Pin 4||( VCC- ) Ground pin : This GND pin can be connected to the GND terminal of the system|
|Pin 5||Balance : The balance pin can be used to switch off the DC offset voltage|
|Pin 6||Strobe / Balance : This pin is mainly used for turning off the o/p phase|
|Pin 7||( Collector Out ) : This pin is the collector terminal o/p of the transistor|
|Pin 8||( VCC+ ) : This pin provides the operating voltage to the operational amplifier. For IC LM311, the operating voltage is up to +15V.|
Specifications and Features of LM311 IC
- Singe supply of LM311 IC ranges from 5V to 30V.
- Dual supply of this IC ranges from – ±2.5V to ±15V.
- The maximum current of this IC is 7.5mA.
- A single supply of two operational amplifiers allows consistent operation.
- The driving load capability ranges up to 50V & 50 mA.
- This IC can drive most of the TTL & MOS loads.
- The o/p can be isolated from System Ground.
LM311 Packages with Dimensions
- The package can be defined as the different device models, and these are used to separate the most recent products as contrasted to the previous. Each package can be allocated in different sizes to distinguish them simply. The LM311 packages with dimensions are shown below.
|SO ( 8 )||LM311PS||6.2X5.3mm|
|SOIC ( 8 )||LM311D||4.9X3.91mm|
|PDIP ( 8 )||LM311P||9.8X6.35mm|
|LM311PW||TSSOP||( 8 ) 3X4.44mm|
Circuit Diagram of LM311 IC
- Below is a discussion of the night light circuit diagram and operation of the LM311 IC. The LM311 integrated circuit, photoresistor, resistors 33K and 220, potentiometer, LED, and DC power source can all be used to build this circuit. Therefore, this fundamental circuit can be created with these components.
- The primary purpose of this nightlight circuit is to turn on the LED at night and turn it off in the morning. A potentiometer can control the circuit in two different ways.
- The voltage produced by the voltage divider between the 33K resistor and a photoresistor, along with the reference voltage, is then compared in the following step of this nightlight circuit. This idea is straightforward. The photoresistor’s resistance will fall below 30K whenever it encounters a strong light. The 33K resistor will therefore get the majority of the voltage, with the remaining voltage going to the photoresistor.
- Because of this, the voltage produced by the voltage divider may be lower than the reference voltage. As a result, the output may be directed toward the ground, which would prevent the light-emitting diode from receiving power. However, since the photoresistor has a very high resistance at night, the majority of the voltage is applied across it. Hence, the generated voltage from the voltage divider circuit will be over the reference voltage. So, the output can be drawn far above the ground to Vcc, as well as the LED will turn ON.
Applications of LM311 IC
- Voltage Comparator circuits.
- This IC is used to drive the Lamp, Relay, Motor, etc.
- Peak voltage Detector.
- Oscillator circuits.
- Zero Crossing Detector.
- High Voltage Warning/protection.