- The highest voltage differential between the input voltage and reference voltage that the voltage regulator can control is known as the dropout value. Based on their dropout value, the majority of regulators are selected. The regulator will be more sensitive to a change in voltage the higher the dropout. Additionally, regulators come in versions with constant voltage and versions with variable output voltage. The TLV758P is one of these regulators, which has an adjustable output version and a low dropout value.
What is TLV758P?
- A 500mA low-dropout, the programmable regulator is the TLV758P. This device offers quick line and load transient performance and has a very low quiescent current need. This device has a 130V ultralow dropout, which can increase the device’s power efficiency.
- The device can be utilized for a wide range of applications because it supports an input voltage range from 1.5V to 6V and an output voltage range from 0.55V to 5.5V. Modern microcontrollers with lower core voltages can be powered by the device thanks to its low output voltage functionality.
Block Diagram of TLV758P
- Until the input voltage is larger than the rising UVLO voltage, this circuit shuts the regulator’s output. Additionally, this circuit makes sure that the regulator does not behave erratically when the supply voltage falls below the range of operation. When the input voltage is lower than the UVLO voltage that is rising, the output is connected to the ground through a pulldown resistor.
- The regulator’s enable pin is active high. Devices can be enabled by driving the EN pin to a voltage greater than VEN. The gadget is turned off by lowering it below the enabling voltage.
Foldback Current Limit
- The device has an internal current limit circuit to safeguard it from sudden high-load current failures. The existing cap is a mix of a brick wall and a foldback system. At foldback voltage, the current restriction changes from the brick wall scheme to the foldback scheme.
- The brick wall scheme limits the output current to the current limit for a high load current fault with output voltage above the foldback voltage. On the other hand, the foldback system is engaged to limit the output current when the current fault is below the foldback voltage.
- The output is turned off by this circuit when the junction temperature reaches 1700C. The power that the gadget squandered is eliminated and the device becomes cool down when it is disabled. The output circuit is enabled once more when the junction temperature reaches 1550C. The thermal shutdown circuit can shield the LDO from harm brought on by device overheating.
How to Use?
- In the adjustable voltage variant, external feedback resistor dividers are needed to configure the output voltages. The stability of the TLV758P requires an external output capacitor of 0.47 F. The input impedance can be decreased by connecting a capacitor between IN and GND.
- Three operational modes are present in TLV758P. They are the three modes: Normal, Dropout, and Disabled. When the input voltage is larger than the total of the nominal output voltage and dropout voltage, the output current is less than the current limit, and the junction temperature is lower than the shutdown temperature, the device is said to be operating in normal mode.
- The device is said to be operating in dropout mode when the input voltage is less than the sum of the nominal output voltage and dropout voltage while all other conditions of normal mode are met. The enable pin turns the device off while it is in disabled mode.
Pin Configuration of TLV758P
- TLV758P exits in two types of packages in the market. They are DRV 6-pin adjustable WSON package and DRB 5-pin adjustable SOT-23 package.
DRV 6-Pin Adjustable WSON Package
- This is a 2mm x2mm of dimension.
- Pin-1 is the regulated output voltage pin.
- Pin-2 is the foldback pin FB.
- Pin-3 is the ground pin GND.
- Pin-4 is the enable pin EN.
- Pin-5 is the do not connect pin DNC.
- Pin-6 is the input pin IN.
- This package contains a thermal pad, which is connected to a large GND plane to increase thermal performance.
DRB 5-Pin Adjustable SOT-23 Package
- Pin-1 is the input pin IN.
- Pin-2 is the ground pin GND.
- Pin-3 is the enable pin EN.
- Pin-4 is the foldback pin FB.
- Pin-5 is the output pin OUT.
- For both of these packages, the input pin IN is linked to ground GND by a large ceramic capacitor. The input impedance can be reduced while obtaining the optimum transient response.
- Both packages use the FB pin to set the LDO’s output voltage and as an input to the control loop error amplifier. Both packages’ output pins need a capacitor for stability and effective transient responses. Be sure to install these capacitors close to the device’s output.
Specifications of TLV758P
Specifications of the TLV758P LDO regulator are as follows.
- TLV758P is an adjustable LDO regulator.
- Minimum input voltage is 1.5V.
- Maximum input voltage is 6V.
- Adjustable over the output voltage range from 0.55V to 5.5V.
- It has a low dropout voltage of 130mV at 500mA of output current.
- A typical value of output accuracy is 0.7%.
- Maximum over temperature output accuracy is 1%.
- Typical quiescent current value is 25μ A.
- It is a Built-in soft-start with monotonic output voltage rise.
- It has an active output discharge.
- Available in two types of packages- SOT23-5 and WSON-6.
- Operating junction temperature range is from -400C to 1500C.
- Storage temperature range is from -650C to 1500C.
- Enable voltage range is 6.5V.
- It contains the electrostatic discharge of 500V.
- Enable toggle frequency is 10kHz.
- For stability, a minimum derated capacitance of 0.47μF is required.
- It has an integrated thermal shutdown circuit.
- Typical thermal shutdown temperature is 7700C.
- This IC has a current limit and Undervoltage lockout features.
- To reduce the thermal dissipation during short-circuit events, this IC has internal foldback current limit.
Applications of TLV758P
The applications of TLV78P are as follows.
- These IC’s are used in set-top boxes and gaming consoles.
- Home theatre and entertainment system also uses this LDO regulator.
- High-speed electronics like Desktops, Notebooks, and ultrabooks have this regulator.
- This IC finds application in printers.
- In server systems also the features of this IC are very helpful.
- This IC also finds application in thermostats and lighting control systems.
- Electronic Point of Sale is also one of the applications of this regulator.