This RFID system contains only two components.
1) RFID reader
2) RFID tag
- RFID tag coming in many ways
1) Active tag
2) Passive tag
3) Semi-passive tag
- The passive tag does not have a power supply.So, this passive tag relies on the radio waves which is coming from the RFID reader for the source of energy. While in the case of semi-passive tags, they used to have their power supply. But for transmitting the feedback signal back to the RFID reader they used to rely on the signal which is coming from the RFID reader. While in the case of active tag, they used to have their power supply. But for transmitting the signal back to the reader also they are relying on their power supply.As this passive tag does not have a power supply, so the range is less compared to the active and semi-passive tags.
- The RFID reader coming in many sizes and shapes.
- So this RFID reader could be your handheld reader or it could be as large as the size of the door which normally sees inside the shopping malls. So this RFID reader mainly consists of three components. So the first component of the RFID reader is the RF signal generator. So this signal generator generates a radio wave which is transmitted using this antenna. Also to receive the feedback signal which is coming from the tag, the RFID reader also has a receiver of the signal detector. And to process the information which is being sent by the RFID tag, this RFID reader also has a microcontroller. Or many times this RFID reader is directly connected to the computer. So, now let us see about the RFID tags. So most of the tags, which are being
- Used today are passive tags. Because these passive tags are quite cheaper compared to the active tags, as well as, as they do not require any power source, so they are quite compact. So these passive tags are also coming in many forms. So this passive tag could be either size of a key chain or it could be the size of a credit card or maybe it could be in a form of a label. So let us see what are the basic components inside this RFID tag. So, the first component that you see inside the RFID tag is a transponder. Which receives the radio waves which are coming from the reader and send the feedback signal back to the reader. As the passive tags do not have their supply so they rely on the radio waves which are coming from the reader. So they used to get the energy from the radio waves which are coming from the reader. So, using this rectifier circuit the energy that is coming from the radio waves is stored across the capacitor. And this energy is used as a supply for the controller as well as the memory element inside is RFID tag.